Appel Aja's Reviews > The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom

The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith

U 50x66
Jun 03, 10

One of the bloggers I follow () recently posted about her method of educating her children, called "unschooling" (http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/2010/...). The way she described unschooling was fascinating to me because it sounded like a similar philosophy to my teaching philosophy. The philosophy basically entails throwing scripted curriculum (a one-size-fits-all approach to teaching) out the window, and instead follows student interests. I had never heard of unschooling so I decided to read this book. The Unschooling Handbook was compelling and easy-to-read. I especially loved how the book discussed using children's natural curiosity about the world to facilitate their learning. While I don't envision myself officially homeschooling or unschooling my own children, I will use a similar approach in the way I interact with my own children and my students. A trip to the beach where we explore tide pools and have animated discussions is more powerful than a worksheet on tide pools. Students do not need to be bombarded with facts and worksheets. They need a chance to explore the world and learn through hands-on activities and conversations. I would recommend this book to any parent or educator.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unschooling Handbook.