valee's Reviews > Covet

Covet by J.R. Ward

2320890
Jun 28, 10

bookshelves: average-pnr-romance

I must admit that I was completely disappointed with this book. I was expecting much more. So many things were wrong with it. it was more than the first book syndrome. First, there was too much background information, but non of it relevant. Moreover, the romance in the book felt fake and forced. You never get to know well the characters, which was the most annoying thing with this book; You had pages and pages of information but nothing really important to understand what was going on.

Leaving the romance apart, nothing really important happens, yes there is a demon trying to mess with Gretchen and Vin, but she never really does anything to harm them. I also wasn't really attracted to any of the characters in the book, not even for one of the secondary characters.
The story was boring most of the time. From the middle of the book I just wanted it to end.

I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed with Ward, she is one of my faves authors and I adore her BDB series, but this new series has too much to improve to be even half as good as the BDB.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Covet.

12/06/2009 "So far so good. Looks like it's going to be one of the good ones. I love J.R Ward"
12/06/2009 "Nobody has a better sense of humor than J.R Ward. I can't stop laughing. And I'm loving this one. Although the beginning was a bit corny." 4 comments
12/07/2009 page 200
42.19% "I'm really liking this book,but I was expecting more from Ward, the topic is kinda lame. Not very original, and the romance is coming slow." 2 comments
12/09/2009 page 395
83.33% "So not what I hoped it to be." 12 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back Great review, Lady Vale! The synopsis for this book didn't seem really interesting to me & I'm not one of those people who laps up everything Ward writes. I'm not much a Ward fan, really. *ducks* But I'm glad my suspicions this book wouldn't be up to par with her BDB series wasn't unfounded.

Jesse I usually agree with you on most reviews, but I did like this book. I will concede that it does not measure up to BDB, but I still enjoyed it. It's different and I like the spin that the main character throughout the series is not romantic focus of every book, but is there to guide the romantic character. I think the series has potential. I hope it gets better for you if you decide to check out the second book!

valee I will read the 2nd book for sure, and I too think the series has potential. Maybe I was in a terrible mood the day I read this one,lol.
I will re/read it in a near future.

But I don't know. I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would, maybe that was the problem, I had huge hopes for this one.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine ♠LethalLovely~HBBIC♠ wrote: "Great review, Lady Vale! The synopsis for this book didn't seem really interesting to me & I'm not one of those people who laps up everything Ward writes. I'm not much a Ward fan, really. *ducks* B..."

Alright LL, you've made up for On the Edge :) I'm not much of a Ward fan either.

Leslie Reno I agree. I loved BDB.. I so wanted thus series to be as good but it just didn't meet the bar :-(

Danielle Couldn't agree more with your review. I loved the BDB series but Fallen Angels is a bore.

Marianne I am glad to see I am not the only one. I don't even know if I can finish the book...

Lauren Spot on, I really couldn't pinpoint why I didn't want to finish this book, but you basically said it all. I wanted to like it, but sadly couldnt't.

Carol Storm Great review! Marie-Therese was such a suffering little goody-goody. I was rooting for Devina, the sexy she-devil!