A.U.C.'s Reviews > Kingdom of the Golden Dragon

May 16, 10

Recommended to A.U.C. by: My Spanish teacher
Recommended for: light-readers
Read from April 17 to May 17, 2010, read count: 1

I haven't really finished this book, but I have only 20 pages to go and will probably finish them tonight as I have the test on it tommorow.

Let's see... this book. Meh.

If you want to read this book, know two things; first off, if you have finished reading the 50 page first chapter, you have accomplished a feat worthy of applaud. The first chapter = bad.

But the rest of the book is fairly tolerable. The second thing is that Isabel Allende is no genius. She took a cliché topic, wasted it on "The City of the Beasts" and then re-wasted it on "The Kingdom of the Golden Dragon." Fine, she intended this to be a young adult book. I think she misreads the name "young adult." Most 14 year olds will not be in for a novel like this; some of its ideas are so abstract (yet cliché, cliché, cliché) that they might bore some. She took a young adult topic and wrote how she is accostumed to write. Adult bestseller. Which is NOT young adult. A neat explanation to why this book did not become a bestseller.

What I think is funny is that Isabel Allende is so obvious in her desperate desire to be considered something more than an "author of bestsellers." That's funny.

I'm sorry that this review has been so... inconclusive. So I guess I should round it up. What this book is is a good topic that we have all read before, bad writing that we have all read before, yet it's not the kind of book that is simply impossible to finish. Not at all. In some parts, it was fairly amusing, although entertaining might be a stretch. Obvious things are unecessarily repeated every 100 pages, provoking a "dude, do you friggin' have Alzheimer's? You already said that!" The unrealistically obvious characters and names can be obnoxious at times.

So, in conclusion, you could do better than pick this book. But it won't be suicidal. Although if you read "The City of the Beasts" it could be debatable. (Do you notice how even the TITLES are similar? How easy is that?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kingdom of the Golden Dragon.

05/16/2010 page 464