Sophie's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Aug 23, 10

bookshelves: own, childrens, fiction, read-in-2010, young-adult, science-fiction, favorites, hannah-list
Recommended for: A Wrinkle in Time fans, Kate, Lizzie Skurnick
Read from August 21 to 23, 2010 — I own a copy

Aaaah so good! Kate, you should definitely read this.

I loved all the little details of Miranda's life. Everything was brought to life so well, and I loved Miranda herself, who read like a real kid to me. The writing didn't talk down to its audience at all, and that's awesome. It's in the tradition of the great children's books of the 60s-80s, including, yes, A Wrinkle in Time.

It's impossible to properly describe what this book is about, so I'm just going to say read it, and take the time to savor all the details.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

Quotes Sophie Liked

Rebecca Stead
“Well, it's simple to love someone," she said. "But it's hard to know when you need to say it out loud.”
Rebecca Stead, When You Reach Me
tags: love

Rebecca Stead
“Mom says each of us has a veil between ourselves and the rest of the world, like a bride wears on her wedding day, except this kind of veil is invisible. We walk around happily with these invisible veils hanging down over our faces. The world is kind of blurry, and we like it that way. But sometimes our veils are pushed away for a few moments, like there's a wind blowing it from our faces. And when the veil lifts, we can see the world as it really is, just for those few seconds before it settles down again. We see all the beauty, and cruelty, and sadness, and love. But mostly we are happy not to. Some people learn to lift the veil themselves. Then they don't have to depend on the wind anymore.”
Rebecca Stead, When You Reach Me