Jennifer's Reviews > The Devil's Star

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbø

Oct 03, 10

bookshelves: read-2010
Recommended to Jennifer by: NPR (I think)
Recommended for: anyone who likes Scandanavian Noir
Read from September 23 to 26, 2010

Though I don't love coming into a series several books in, my inability to read Norwegian means I had to start with this one. I liked it a lot and the flawed hero, Harry Hole, reminds me of other anti-heroes I've grown to love (Arkady Renko, Matthew Scudder, etc.) Harry is a raging alcoholic but also a brilliant homocide detective and the strange case of a serial killer targetting seemingly random folks, torturing them, hacking off a digit, and leaving a particular cut of diamond behind (not overly valuable, just rare) is one that both pulls him back from the brink briefly and then drives him mercilessly towards it again. There are other interesting characters--a smooth fellow detective who might also be a murderer, a super intelligent woman detective who can spot patterns with ease, etc. The pace was fast, the writing tight, and the world view dark . . . just how I like it.

Thanks, Julia, for sending me your copy. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Star.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julia Heard this was good...have you read any of the others?

Jennifer I'm not sure if all the ones before are available in the U.S. I read a thing about him and this book on the NPR website (part of the trend called "Nordic Noir").

Julia Ah. I suppose Steig Larsson is part of the Nordic Noir trend too! And I know how you like Mankell...I'm waiting for the Man from Beijing at the libary, which will be my first.

Jennifer By the way, I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo over spring break (I figured I wanted to see the Swedish version before Hollywood took over). I thought they did a good job paring the book down to a movie plot line people could follow and also of casting Lisbeth. Though I liked the actor they cast as Mikael, he was quite a bit older than I had imagined (in his late 40's versus late 30's as I had imagined in my head).