Kamae Acejo's Reviews > By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept

By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho

Apr 16, 10

bookshelves: life-and-love

Pilar is like all the other woman from the barrio who is smart and has her life all planned. But as she visits a childhood friend that she secretly loves. She embarks in a journey that will give her a chance to rebuild her life and have the gift to love ones again.
As she meets her childhood friend, she eventually not only learns that this guy had planned to enter the seminary but also that he is a visionary of the Virgin Mary and he is able perform miracles by curing. She then leaves the normal life she has been living and has been hating and sets her life to be with this man and be with him while he cures and preach all through out the world when she realize that there are other means of serving God other than being a priest. But after she excites her mind for this dream life, she then learns that the man she loves just recently denunciated his power to cure to the Virgin Mary to live a normal life that he expected Pilar to prefer. Pilar, after knowing about this- knowing she wouldn’t live the extra ordinary life she had dreamed- went by the River Piedra and sat down and wept blaming herself to be the reason why this guy will fail to cure the lives of many men.

Review:
“Very inspiring. I could see myself through Pilar: the best character I see myself into so far. This story is very close to my heart. A simple story, with an important lesson.”

PS. I have a crush on someone who’s planning to be a priest. i_i. It doesn’t feel good. X)

Lesson: p.95

Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful. But not knowing which to do is the worst kind of suffering.”

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept.

Quotes Kamae Liked

Paulo Coelho
“If pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible. If he has to make a choice, may he make it now. Then I will either wait for him or forget him.”
Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept