Gina's Reviews > Howards End

Howards End by E.M. Forster

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012, 4-star, audio, classic, fiction
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 01, 2012

I managed to knit a stranded mitten and about 6 inches of Lopi sweater while listening to Elizabeth Klett's Librivox recording of this book. This is the type of book that I know I would have a hard time reading myself--there are lots of long philosophy and ethics passages that are interesting and thought provoking, but don't really advance the plot, and I tend to zone in and out and get antsy during those. Having someone read them pleasantly to me while I keep my hands busy makes a big difference. I plan on re-reading it myself, though, now that I know a bit more about what to expect.

It's very interesting to read this book, published over 100 years ago, with today's mindset. Maybe infuriating is a better word, but there are a million in-depth reviews of the gender relations/sexual politics, etc. elsewhere and I have no intention of writing another one. I certainly appreciated when characters started getting called out on their double standards, and in the end I found this book oddly satisfying, but I am a sucker for a tragedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howards End.