Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > The Darkest Night

Jan 26, 11

bookshelves: pnr-uf, 2011-january, couldn-t-finish, snarky-troll-lives-here
Read from January 24 to 26, 2011

DNF #2 for 2011.

JR Ward was my introduction to the whole PNR genre and I've read 8 of her silly books. I know it's not fair, but I kept comparing the setup of this book to those. I found myself wondering how Showalter was going to write a book about each of these guys. Their 'curses' are way more ickier than Ward dreamed up for her BDB.

I wanted to like this one - I found the premise interesting, with the whole Pandora's box idea, and there are tons of 5 star reviews on GR. The Hero being stabbed to death every night and spending the night burning in Hell (or whatever it was going on) was very dramatic. A novel approach to be sure, except it woke up my snarky inner troll. Troll snickers, 'it's like a gory version of Groundhog Day'.

The we meet the heroine on a quest to Budapest to find these secret dudes, and discovering that the voices in her head that plague her are silent when she is near Maddox and snarky Troll pipes up, 'shades of Sookeh!'

Then as I'm reading further and I couldn't think of how one silly girl would be able to change thousands of years of a curse with anything other than the power of lurve (there's that damn Troll again) and I realized I just couldn't make myself care about the rest of it.

So ends my foray into Paranormal Romance.

I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Night.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I thought this was a rough start to a very good series. Sorry it didn't work for you, Tammy.

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Zosia, I felt like that as well (poor relative of the BDB - like getting a Lettuce Field Baby when you wanted a Cabbage Patch Doll, lol). I wonder if I'd have felt differently if I hadn't already read those ones? I also agree with you about being a picky paranormal reader - I'm not sure about the genre to begin with, and there are SO many out there. As an author I think it would be hard not to be derivative whether you mean to or not.

And I'm finding that if I read something that wakes that snarky troll in me up, it takes alot to get it to lay back down.

Hi Danielle -- did you think the series got better after the first one? I should go and read your reviews. I'm interested in your perspective, as you read a lot of PNR.

The other series that I'm still interested in trying is that Carpathian one (name escapes me at the moment). It's a series that people seem to either love or hate - not much inbetween. Have either of you read that one?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Tammy, I think this series definitely gets better. That is not to say you will love the books, but Showalter seems to find her feet with the storyline, and the characters grow more complex. You can check out my reviews and see what you think. I have to say I have found this series very addictive, although I wasn't sure about this first book.

I think you might like the Carpathian series. It's very dark and intense, and I know we are on the same page liking the darker books. It is a bit repetitive, but I quite like the world of the Carpathians and what Feehan has done with it.

Tammy Walton Grant Thanks, Danielle -- I value your input. Now I'm off to check out your reviews. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Tammy. That means a lot to me!

Catherine LOL! I liked this one more than you, but I wouldn't call this a shining example of PNR. There are different and possibly better ones out there more to your taste. Try again before you swear off the whole genre.

message 7: by Tammy (last edited Feb 06, 2011 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tammy Walton Grant I think the Carpathians is the next series I'll try, Catherine. Have you read those ones?

Catherine I have indeed. They were alright way back in the day when they were my first PNR series. But I didn't really like the dominance thing going on in their relationships so I ditched them when I found greener pastures.

Tammy Walton Grant I've heard that about them -- people seem to either love them or hate them. They seem to be like the PNR equivalent of a historical alpha (me likey!)

My first PNR was the Black Dagger Brotherhood - and I haven't read many others, actually.

The Holy Terror I listened to this on audio and just barely gave it 2 stars. I think I just enjoyed hearing a guy read such dirty things. The second book isn't any better and if I couldn't get them for free I wouldn't bother with the next. I listen to them at work so it's not like I'm even wasting time! But yeah, this series and her writing in general are pretty terrible.

message 11: by Tammy (new) - rated it 1 star

Tammy Walton Grant The Holy Terror wrote: "I think I just enjoyed hearing a guy read such dirty things. "

That's hilarious! I tried listening to a sample of an audiobook and I just couldn't do it. I think I prefer listening to my own voice inside my head as narrator. (or I just haven't listened to the right book yet.)

The Holy Terror I'm still a newbie when it comes to them, I think I've finished, er ... 4 now? I only started because I can listen to whatever I want at work so I figured why not get some reading in. I've found that I really need something that holds my attention otherwise I fall asleep. And I tell you what, it's hard to feel sleepy when some guy is saying, "suck my cock," in your headphones. :D

message 13: by Tammy (new) - rated it 1 star

Tammy Walton Grant The Holy Terror wrote: " it's hard to feel sleepy when some guy is saying, "suck my cock," in your headphones. :D"

LMFAO!!!!