Morgan F's Reviews > The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

Aug 25, 10

bookshelves: preston-public-library, fantasy, young-adult, myths-retellings, adventure, series, 2010, read-2010, multiple, good-sized
Read from August 14 to 16, 2010

Ever since their mother died, Carter and Sadie Kane haven't exactly been close. Carter travels the world with their Egyptologist father, while Sadie lives with their grandparents in London. On Christmas Eve, one of the few days a year all three of them are together, their father brings them to the British Museum for "a research experiment". The end result is a blown-up Rosetta Stone, a released evil Egyptian god, their father banished to who-knows-where, and the kids are on the run for their lives. Over the next couple days, Carter and Sadie discover they are magicians from a powerful family descending from Egyptian pharaohs, able to host gods and do powerful deeds. Soon, Carter and Sadie are on a mission to get their father back, while dealing with manipulative gods and uncovering deep family secrets.

I love Rick Riordan. Well, I love Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and when I first heard of this series, I thought it was going to be exactly like that. While there were similarities, The Red Pyramid never obtained that spark that set Percy Jackson on fire (not literally). The Red Pyramid was good, but a bit disappointing if you were expecting something as good as Percy Jackson.

Both Carter and Sadie narrated this novel, in the form of telling their story for a recording. They would take turns every couple of chapters, sometimes interrupting each other and bickering. This was very Lemony Snicket like for some reason, and I enjoyed. After a while though, I found it hard to distinguish Carter and Sadie's voices. Towards the beginning, it was a bit easier because Sadie sounded girly and British, and Carter sounded shy and unsure. But as the story went on, their voices blended together and I am thankful that it had the name of the person narrating at the top of the page.

I also found the book a bit long and the plot too repetitive. I felt the story could have been significantly condensed. Was it really that necessary to have so many moments where the kids get cornered by a god, they battle for a while, someone finally manages some big magic in order for them to escape, while someone gets left behind only to resurface later? I did appreciate, though, some of the more ridiculous elements in the story that added some humor. Like when Carter and Sadie turn a goddess into a cow by gorging her with salsa, tricking her into thinking its blood. Who can possibly come up with something like that? Rick Riordan can.

I'm not sure if I like the mythology of the Egyptian gods. While I do like learning it, I'm don't know how much of it is actually fact based, and how much Riordan is making up. The mythology just seems too confusing. I'm not sure what all the relationships between the gods are. Are they siblings or spouses?

Overall, the book was enjoyable, although not quite as fantastic as Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Pyramid.

08/15/2010 page 247
48.0% "it's a bit long"

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal I want to read this one! I can't wait to see what you think =)

Morgan F If it's anything like Percy Jackson, I'll be sure to love it.

message 3: by Crystal (new)

Crystal I have only read the first one in that series, but I liked what I read. I need to read the rest of them =)

~Tina~ I loved this book! Rick is such an awesome writer:)
Happy Reading!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim I have this on my Kindle, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly A lot of the gods are both siblings and spouses. Ickily, many of the pharaohs decided to emulate them!

This sounds a little like the Theodosia series.

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene This sounds like a read filled with adventure. Great review!