Amelia, the pragmatic idealist's Reviews > The Dark Divine

Mar 22, 14

bookshelves: 2010, ya-kids-teen, arcs, lovestory-done-right, paranormal
Read from June 17 to 18, 2010

I LOVED THIS BOOK!
Simply put, The Dark Divine exceeded all my expectations. Paranormal, bad boy and ordinary girl - who hasn't seen that before? Well, the relationship in this story was very well-done and evenly paced, and the "paranormal" aspect was so incredibly original and entertaining, so it felt like I was reading something completely fresh and new. Bree Despain's take on werewolves - which I'm sure we're all familiar with - is so INCREDIBLY original and actually makes sense! I remember thinking, "yeah, definitely! Why not?" Bravo, Mrs. Despain!
I especially liked the inclusion of useful, responsible parent-figures. I think we can all agree that parent figures in YA are frequently absent, so it was nice to have helpful parent characters. Now, I do think that sometimes the Divine family was portrayed a little on the stereotypical side: Grace and Jude are great characters, and I DO know boys like Jude, so no, I don't believe that he's "unrealistic" at all - but sometimes they acted a little too contrived (my cousins are children of a pastor, and they do NOT spend their free time at food pantries, nor do they discuss clothing drives. Maybe they *should*, but...) But that one little mention is the only thing that I can think of to say about this book: aside from the Divine family's kind-of blatant portrayal, all the characters were very real, very well-rounded, and easy to relate to. It's always a plus to have grounded, practical characters with values and a good head on their shoulders. Now Grace isn't perfect, but she is a genuinely caring person, and that made up for any lapses in judgment throughout the story. Jude is a really interesting character, too. At the beginning, he was a little too Richie Cunningham for me, but as the Prodigal Son scenario played out, both he and Daniel became incredibly fun to explore.
Daniel and Grace's relationship was very well-done. It wasn't rushed, but it didn't beat around the bush; it wasn't abusive, it wasn't superficial, it wasn't inappropriate. Rather, I found Grace's devotion to Daniel and her (ultimate) willingness to help him very touching.
Even though this book series really doesn't have a designated villain (yet), the plot remained strong and interesting throughout, and the story was evenly paced. The Dark Divine was a fast read, but that's mainly because I was so engrossed, I could not put it down!

I really can't praise this book enough. Yes, there are religious elements in this story, but I suppose I missed the memo that decided that was a bad thing. :P Kidding aide, I hope that doesn't dissuade anyone from picking up TDD. It is a well-written, captivating, and incredibly romantic story, and I sincerely recommend it to fantasy/YA lovers!
I'd like to say thank-you to Bree for the story she created, and the way in which she decided to tell it. I'm definitely a fan, and I eagerly look forward to her next installment =]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Divine.

06/17/2010 page 62
06/18/2010 page 178
48.0% "wow." 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annalisa (last edited Apr 16, 2010 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annalisa I think you'll like it. I've just read so much paranormal fantasy lately, I'm getting sick of all the fluff, but for the genre it's pretty good.

Enna Isilee (Squeaky Books) Hope you like it! I did!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Hey! I have a feeling (from reading all the different reviews) that I will
:D

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i wanna read it!!!

message 5: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy You've sparked my interest! Added to the TBR list!