Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Oct 08, 12

The book seems like it is a child’s book, but it is far from it. It is too complex for children and many of them don’t know the stories referred to within the book. Though it isn’t necessary to know all of the tales, I can greatly appreciate the re-interpretation of the many classic story tale characters, seeing them in any form is a treat.

There were a number of sections of the book I just wanted to skip. The story telling was at times bland and boring, I only wanted to read the good stuff, which in this book, is the action or the meeting of those classic characters. I had to push myself to make it past the first few chapters, as it wasn’t what I chose this book for. Just as I was getting bored, something would happen, which is the only way I finished the novel. A writer should be able to keep your attention through the character building portions of their novel, but this just wasn’t happening here. I wanted to care about the boy, but there really was no reason to. I wanted to hate the crooked man, but he didn’t seem that bad. The lines between good and evil were constantly blurred and left me uninterested.

Reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.