Lani's Reviews > Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters

Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti

Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, feminism
Read from September 30 to October 01, 2011

I think this book is a good 'intro' guide to feminism for younger women. Like... women under 21 or so. As someone a little older who has read several 'intro' books, I didn't get much out of this book. It's clearly directed at teens and younger women based on the font and spacing of the book and the slangy writing style. None of that is meant to disparage the book, I think it'd be a great gift for a teenage girl.

The biggest complaint I had with the book was a tendency for Jessica Valenti to badmouth her critics. There is, in particular, a long anecdote about Valenti being decried on the Internet as slutting it up for former President Clinton. While I agree with Valenti that most of the criticism is ridiculous, and I do appreciate some personal anecdotes in a book like this, I also found the naming names and backstabbing to be obnoxious. This isn't the first time I've been annoyed by this kind of behavior in a 'sassy young feminist' book, and it's frustrating. Not only does it date the book, it also feeds right into the mean girl stereotypes these same books complain about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Frontal Feminism.