Lexie's Reviews > Running Scared

Running Scared by Shannon K. Butcher

Apr 21, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: genre-urban-fantasy, review-romance-reader-at-heart, books-once-owned

Outside of RR@H, my nickname is Lexie (and Alex, to my family). My full name is, of course, Alexandra. Rarely do I come upon a book that uses either of those names, so when I do see a book, I tend to grab it up and pet it for a little while. While my name isn't that unusual, it's just not in huge demand for book heroines (gotten quite a few vixens and villains, however). I thought it prudent to explain my bias in this regard, given the following review.

RUNNING SCARED is different from what I expected. I haven't read Shannon Butcher (wife of Jim Butcher) before; actually, to be completely honest, I didn't even know she had a series of books out. Reading the blurb for RUNNING SCARED I was intrigued and decided to give it a try. Sure, it was the third book in the series, but not all paranormal romance series require having read the previous two.

I wish I had. There isn't any one thing wrong with RUNNING SCARED, but a whole lot of little things. Butcher depends upon the reader knowing that in the previous books similar things happened; that is, Lexi's friend Helen went through the same area of distrust and fear of the Sentinels, for instance. Lexi refers to Helen's previous mindset, which Helen explains about and Lexi refuses to hear.

Lexi was what I dislike reading in heroines the most—fanatically blind. Even when she would observe Zach (or any of the other Sentinels, for that matter) acting completely opposite from what she expected, she assumed it was all a ruse. Every. Single. Time. There was no middle ground in her mind. Or, if she did begin to doubt that black/white viewpoint, she thought it was them implanting ideas in her brain. Every. Single. Time. More than guilt and doubt, this girl was riddled with self-loathing at the mere thought of feeling any kindness for the Sentinels or Zach...

Which didn't end until the very, very end of the book. She suddenly got all sorts of emotional growth in those last fifty pages or so, which only became more confusing when a new revelation, in the form of her parentage, comes about. She accepts this new information wholeheartedly, without reserve. If I wasn't so certain that the Sentinels were the good guys, I'd really be wondering if she did get brainwashed. She is a kinder, gentler, warmer Lexi in the last couple of chapters.

There were two saving graces for the book, however: I was still deeply interested in the background of the Sentinels and Nika, whose own book is due out in November and called LIVING NIGHTMARE, and was infinitely more interesting than Lexi. I have hopes, because of her portrayal in this book and the excerpt from the next book, that book 4 is a more satisfying read. RUNNING SCARED just didn't do it for me, unfortunately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Scared.