Breanne's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Apr 19, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from April 16 to 19, 2010

This is set in a kind of dystopian future and is quite a page-turner. Dasher kept the reader hungry for more as he unfolded one element after another, and as soon as one secret was revealed you were eager for the next. I think fans of the Hunger Games will really enjoy this, though as I read reviews they seem to be polarized; people either really like it or really don't. I wonder if it's because The Hunger Games has a girl for the main character, and that sort of softens the view of the dark reality a bit more - does it make readers a bit more sympathetic to the main character when it's a girl? Or is it because I'm a girl? I kept wondering if this book was going to turn into something like Lord of the Flies, but it never descended to that level. A lot of the criticism complains about weak characters, but I didn't really notice that. I think readers who like to experience different worlds or alternate realities in their reading will get the most out of this book. Also, keep in mind that this book is the first in a trilogy. I'd say readalikes for this one are: The Hunger Games, The Knife of Never Letting Go, and Unwind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.