Dee's Reviews > The Other Side of the River: A Story of Two Towns, a Death, and America's Dilemma

The Other Side of the River by Alex Kotlowitz

Apr 16, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from January 15 to 27, 2010

This was a book my husband bought a couple of years ago. It is intriguing because it tells about the towns we lived in when we first met. I grew up in this area and we are most familiar with all the landscape. This makes a person tie in their own memories with so much. The events recorded are true and happened after we married and moved away. It tells a ragged story of racial conflict that people try to ignore. The book leaves you feeling a little 'off' because the police and courts in the story never are able to totally resolve the death. The author's own dogged research and interviews give the officials so much information, but the final outcome is still unknown. Without the personal tie to this part of Michigan, I probably woudn't have been as interested. People with that link or with an interest in the evolution in racial conflict will also like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of the River.