Dlora's Reviews > Empire

Empire by Orson Scott Card

Apr 16, 10

bookshelves: adventure-action, lds-author
Read in April, 2010

This slightly-science-fiction story is set just barely in the future. In fact, the setting is so true to the present American political scene, that many of the references to TV personalities, government officials, and political trends will soon make the book out-dated. It postulates a possible second American civil war between the extremists of the Left and the extremists of the Right set off by a terrorist assassination of the US president and vice president. There is lots of nonstop action and political commentary. It's a little different than anything I have read from Orson Scott Card, kind of a bitter warning about where our country's hate-filled political rhetoric and polarization of thought is heading. Are we really becoming a country of Red states versus Blue states? This is a book I think Greg will like; I've set it on his nightstand to read next.

Some weaknesses for me: The witty repartee between the main characters was entertaining but I thought everyone sounded too much alike. The story had a kind of provoking ending too, that I was anticipating but it left me hanging. I also thought the climax and denouement happened a bit too quickly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire.