Morgan F's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Mar 03, 11

bookshelves: 2000s, nfa-library, fantasy, steampunk, vampires, romance, goodreads-author, werewolves, its-a-girl, haha, i-haz-powers, medium-sized, read-2011
Read from February 20 to 23, 2011

I am new to the whole paranormal romance genre. Being a teenager yet, I can finally read the dirty bits without giggling or tossing the book across the room in an embarrassed panic whenever someone walks into the room. Yay for maturity!

Soulless was a fun read, and oddly very funny. I was cracking up. My favorite line:

Heehehehe

And the vocabulary! Carriger used words like "deleterious" and "cosset" like they were going out of style....which they kinda are, actually. Anyway, I got to employ all the vocab knowledge that my SAT prep teacher tried to force down my throat. At least it was useful for something.

I wanted to bottle up Alexia's spunk an sprinkle it all over the dull, vapid minds of most YA heroines. "See, this is what an entertaining heroine looks like! Learn from her! Absorb her personality! Stop being so dumb!"Alexia was an interesting, likable character, and I'm looking forward to her further adventures.

On to the romance......*sigh* This was the weakest part for me. It was just so repetitive. Lord Maccon and Alexia would bicker for a while, then they would jump on each like two male giraffes (yes, that happens a lot). It just got annoying. And what was with all the neck biting? If a guy started chomping hard enough on my neck so that it would bruise, I would be all "heeeellll nah". A hickey is one thing, neck noms are another. And then Alexia would try to be the proper Victorian lady, which she failed at because proper Victorian ladies do not get freaky on a chair, with their family listening at the door. Creeepin.

Also I FREAKIN GET THAT ALEXIA IS ITALIAN. CAN WE MOVE ON PLEASE?

And I like how the ending wasn't cliff-hangery. I like that I can read the next novel on my own terms, not just because the previous ending left me unsatisfied and frothing at the mouth.

Overall, I really like this one, although now that I think about it, it was a little light on the steampunk. I want more steampunnk.

Sorry for the jumpy, inconsistent review. I'm trying to multitask between doing this and watching TV. TV is winning.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

02/20/2011 page 80
22.0% "I wish I could bottle up Alexia's snark and force-feed it to all those crappy Mary-Sue's out there."
02/22/2011 page 180
50.0% "I am likin it." 3 comments
02/22/2011 page 263
74.0% ""The vampire's eyes were open, and he was staring at her intently. It was as though he was trying to speak to her with simply the power of his glare. Alexia did not speak glare-ish". This quote made me laugh for about three minutes straight. Not kidding."

message 1: by Lyndsey (new) - added it

Lyndsey Maybe a steampunk I can actually get into! Is it very heavy on the romance? Or not so much?

Melyssa Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! *HAPPYFACE* Love this series. LOVE! Haha!

Morgan F Lyndsey wrote: "Maybe a steampunk I can actually get into! Is it very heavy on the romance? Or not so much?"

The steampunk aspect of the novel isn't too prominent, actually. I think its more of a fantasy, although there are some cool inventions. Its heavy on the romance every time the two leads are in a room together, because then all they do is build up the sexual tension and then mack on each other. Its not too bad though.

~Tina~ Great review! I remember liking this one but for some reason I never read the sequels to this...

stephanie LOL

the first paragraph of your review is mint! too, too funny! it nearly made my tea come out of my nose.

message 6: by Morgan (last edited Mar 16, 2011 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Morgan F Funny, but true.

Tea is not a pleasant liquid to have in one's nostrils, although I doubt it could ever be as painful as gingerale. Oooowwww.