Denise's Reviews > Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook

Runny Babbit by Shel Silverstein

Apr 16, 10

Being a big fan of Where the Sidewalk Ends and The Giving Tree, etc, I bought this for my 7 year old son. I can hardly stand reading it and regret buying it. I love all his other books, but this one is stupid! I don't find it to be funny at all, more like annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runny Babbit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Does your son enjoy it?

Denise Unfortunately no. Do you know much about Shel Silverstein? We've read a lot of his books and are big fans, but this one was (I think) finished by his family after he died. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. I don't know, I just didn't like it at all, the whole concept of it, was hard to read. I know a lot of other readers found it to be funny, but not us.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa My kids read Shel Silverstein when they were in school, I even have a copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends. I don't know anything about the newest one though, my kids are all grown up.

Denise Yeah, I read those books too. I can remember watching The Giving Tree during Saturday morning cartoons and I am a LOT older than your kids. This one is different though. Rather than funny, silly poems, they are poems where he switches letters around, hence the name Runny Babbit. In my opinion, it makes the book hard to read because it is every poem in the book, not just one or two.