Angela's Reviews > The Ruins

Apr 16, 10

bookshelves: horror
Recommended for: horror fans
Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** i finished this book early this morning (I couldn't stop reading), and -- it is a good book. I really don't understand how they even thought they could make a movie out of it. Yes it is a horror story, but it is more what goes on in the dynamics of the group than the horror they are facing (it could have been Jason hiding in the jungle rather than the plants). I think the movie must have looked really silly, and that makes me sad, as I am sure it turned some people off the book, and the book is GOOD.

**Spoliler**

The ending was perfect! I was reading, and at about page 400 I thought...they can't get out of this, it won't fit with the rest of the book. It needs to end with the Mayans packing up, or another group showing up at the hill -- and it did just that. No Hollywood happy ending for this book - which does make me wonder how they ended the movie - I really liked how it ended, because it was how it NEEDED to end to be true to the story.

I recommend this book to anyone looking for a little horror (I won't say the book is scary, although it could be scary in the right cirumstance) -- don't be intimidated by the 500 pages, and the weight of it -- it reads fast (starts a little slow, but picks up quickly)

**note** this book has no chapters. There are some "stopping" points, but no chapters, and this bugged me for the first 50 pages or so, and then -- forgot all about wanting to stop. (though I did on occassion, I WISH I had time to read for hours on end...sigh.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins.