sleeps9hours's Reviews > Stumbling on Happiness

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert

Apr 15, 10

Read in February, 2010

Read by the author, good audiobook. Very interesting think about what a poor job we do predicting what will make us happy in the future. Seems wise make sure the process of attaining our future goals is rewarding in the present as well. Tal Ben-Shahar discusses this in his book “Happier”. He posits that to be happy we must focus on activities that are enjoyable in the present AND contribute to future well-being.

Publisher’s Weekly review:
Not offering a self-help book, but instead mounting a scientific explanation of the limitations of the human imagination and how it steers us wrong in our search for happiness, Gilbert, a professor of psychology at Harvard, draws on psychology, cognitive neuroscience, philosophy and behavioral economics to argue that, just as we err in remembering the past, so we err in imagining the future. "Our desire to control is so powerful, and the feeling of being in control so rewarding, that people often act as though they can control the uncontrollable," Gilbert writes, as he reveals how ill-equipped we are to properly preview the future, let alone control it. Unfortunately, he claims, neither personal experience nor cultural wisdom compensates for imagination's shortcomings. In concluding chapters, he discusses the transmission of inaccurate beliefs from one person's mind to another, providing salient examples of universal assumptions about human happiness such as the joys of money and of having children. He concludes with the provocative recommendation that, rather than imagination, we should rely on others as surrogates for our future experience. Gilbert's playful tone and use of commonplace examples render a potentially academic topic accessible and educational, even if his approach is at times overly prescriptive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stumbling on Happiness.