Cameron's Reviews > Teeth - The Epic Novel with Bite

Teeth - The Epic Novel with Bite by Timothy James Dean

May 23, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, reviewed
Read from April 27 to May 11, 2010 — I own a copy

Reading through the pages of Teeth, it becomes evident that Dean has a love for what he writes (or, at least, a very deep fondness). You can really tell that he enjoys describing not only New Guinea, but also its culture and the culture of the characters we follow in the story. That enthusiasm rubs off on the reader. Which is good, because culture is a very important part of Teeth.

While very much a monster story and a tale of adventure, this is primarily a story about people. A great deal of attention is given to who the characters are, where they come from, their ideals and their motivations. Everything that happens in the book carries extra weight because of what we know about who these people are and how they came to be that way. This is what keeps Teeth from being just a typical adventure story and makes the exposition heavy Part 1 totally worth it when all is said and done.

If I have any problem at all with the book, it's that an important part of the story lacks a resolution. (For the sake of keeping this review spoiler free, I won't go into detail on the specific plot point). While there is an upcoming sequel (and threequel) which I'm sure will address my issue, it would have been nice to see this plot thread tied up in the book. This complaint, however, can be chalked up to my bittersweet relationship with trilogies, as opposed to a problem with the novel itself.

Teeth is a pretty darn good book. It has a fearsome monster, fast paced action, great characters, and even some decent humor. An easily recommendable novel. Now I just have to wait for the sequel.

*Received via Goodreads First Reads*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teeth - The Epic Novel with Bite.

05/01/2010 page 86
19.33% "Good stuff so far. I'm liking the characters. It's been mostly exposition so far, but it seems the story is starting to take off now."
05/03/2010 page 200
44.94% "Pretty fast paced so far. Couple big action scenes. Interested to see where it goes next."
05/10/2010 page 339
76.18% "A nice, pleasent surprise so far. I'm really liking the characters here. Makes the exposition heavy Part 1 worth it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (last edited Aug 17, 2010 01:01PM) (new) - added it

Timothy Dean Cameron wrote: "Teeth is a pretty darn good book. It has a fearsome monster, fast paced action, great characters, and even some decent humor. An easily recommendable novel..."

One day, this will all be one big book - a la "Shogun" or "Noble House" by my mentor, James Clavell (1200 pages each!), or "Dome" by the regent, Stephen King.

I'm aiming to have Book 2 out by the end of 2010, or thereabouts, and will let you know. - Timothy

Cameron Timothy wrote: "Thanks Cameron! That "plot thread" is a major part of the next book(s), as you guess! Much of the action of Vol 1 (TEETH) is tied up by the end of this book, but you must let me have my "cliffhanger" - or what's a trilogy for?"

Fair enough. When a trilogy is well written, the final product makes the wait completely worth it. That doesn't make the waiting part any easier though. It's nice to hear that you plan to have the next entry out so soon. I wasn't expecting to be able to get my hands on it until mid-2011 at the earliest. Very nice. Looking forward to it.