Michael Barron's Reviews > InterWorld

InterWorld by Neil Gaiman

Apr 18, 10

Read in April, 2010

(Read review on my website: http://barronwilderness.squarespace.c... )

I don’t know why I didn’t read this book sooner. One of the co-authors is Neil Gaiman (The Sandman and The Graveyard Book). The other is Michael Reaves (Disney’s Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, and the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

• Joey Harker discovers that not only are there a near-infinite number of parallel universes, but he is going to have to save all of them with the help of other Joey Harkers from various realities. (The story was originally an idea for a TV pilot but was converted into a novel.)

• The first person narrator was very relatable. He did an excellent job not only saving the universe but also connecting the readers to the fantastical (and surreal) world.

• The authors take complex concepts such as parallel universes and the nature of reality and present them in a way that young adults can understand. This book is proof that YA authors should never write "dumb" stories.

• The authors also tackle complex emotional situations. Joey has to make choices that involve abandoning his home and losing friends for the greater good. There is one scene between Joey and his mother that is more poignant than any I have read in YA fiction for quite some time.

• My one complaint is that I would have liked more of the story. The plot is so broad, and I really wanted more details concerning the army of Joeys, his training and (especially) the other universes. The story definitely feels like a TV show pilot. It really is a shame it wasn't picked up, but at least we got a good book out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read InterWorld.