Kathryn's Reviews > Gulliver's Travels

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Apr 15, 10

bookshelves: fiction, classic, sci-fi-fantasy

This was one of my favorites when I was growing up...however. It's a very DENSE book, and back then I completely missed the fact that it's supposed to be a satire of...well anything Swift felt like satirizing. A lot of that went over my head, probably because I was fairly young when I read it. And now that I think about it, I remember I mostly skimmed all the boring discussions of politics and history, and just skipped straight to the parts where Gulliver made himself miniature (to the Brobdingnagans) furniture and utensils out of hair and fingernails. I know, I'm weird.

SPOILER ALERT:
Possibly the biggest reason why I'm only giving this book three stars instead of four is the ending. I hated it. I loved the whole idea of a society of intelligent horses, I could completely understand how Gulliver would want to stay with them forever, and then Swift had to ruin it all by having Gulliver turn into a useless ass at the end of the book. Just the thought of his long-suffering wife and children (who probably would have liked the perpetually shipwrecked husband and father to stay HOME once it a while) having to put up with Gulliver not wanting them to TOUCH him or his FOOD ever again because he thought they STANK...ugh, very annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gulliver's Travels.