Morgan F's Reviews > The Lost Hero

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Dec 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010, series, fantasy, young-adult, myths-retellings, good-sized, nfa-library, read-2010, adrenaline, adventure, camp, multiple
Read from December 06 to 07, 2010

Note to self: Never start a Rick Riordan book the eve of the due date of a big project. It will end with a half-ass poster board and disapproving looks from my Spanish teacher.

So, I couldn't flippin' put this book down. I even read it during dinner and blew off prime-time TV! When I had to put it down for something trivial like, IDK, school, I spent the whole time day-dreaming about it, and eagerly waiting for the moment when I could immerse myself in it again. Rick Riordan's world is just completely absorbing.

Now, if you haven't noticed, I gave this book four stars. I had reasons for the point deduction. First off, although this book was awesome, Percy was awesomer. Some things about The Lost Hero bothered me. For instance, I wasn't a fan of the multiple third-person POVs. Usually, I don't mind them, but I would much rather have this novel focus on one hero and tell the story from their perspective, like in the Percy Jackson books. I didn't feel quite as connected to the characters as I had previously, and it didn't have the same humor or charm. The character development was slightly lacking, I think sacrificed for the sake of the break-neck pace. Jason, one of the three main characters, was very dull. I didn't find him interesting in the least. I liked Piper and Leo, though, they had slightly more personality, but reminded me a little too much of Annabeth and Grover. Also, it annoyed me how many times the fact was repeated that Percy was Annabeth's boyfriend. Every time Percy's name would come up someone would go "Annabeth's boyfriend?". It was just annoying. Especially since it just renewed my pain over Percy's absence.

But I still loved this book. Every time an old character would come up I would give a little squeal, although the one character I was REALLY HOPING FOR never showed up. I just can't believe how big a tease Rick is. I waited for five fricking years to see Annabeth and Percy together and then HE'S NOT HERE. HUGUAHGJABB;UBGUBUGBJ!!!!!!

And did anyone else find this book super-predictable? I found the ending just kind of like "Well, duuuh".

Overall, The Son of Neptune is much too far a wait away!!! Come here nooooooow!

Oh, one more thing........*spoiler*

Look awayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

IF PERCY FALLS FOR ANOTHER GIRL AT THE ROMAN CAMP I WILL CASTRATE HIM. I AM SOOO NOT KIDDING.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Hero.

12/06/2010 page 32
6.0% "WHERE'S PERCY???"
12/06/2010 page 236
42.0% "*sighs* I love Rick Riordan,"

message 1: by ~Tina~ (last edited Dec 18, 2010 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ w000t!! Great review! I Heart Rick to death!
Yeah, I found it slightly predictable but I shook it off since; 1)these book are really for a younger audience so it kinda has to be and 2) I already memories Rick's style so it's not hard to guess where he's taking these books and characters.
Still, I MISS PERCY! Loved this book, but Percy and the gang are hard to compare to. At least, at this point.

ROFL! The Queen Llama has spoken!!
Be afraid Rick. Be very afraid.

message 2: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I've got to get to the first series soon ... one day soon. I hope you get a good grade on your project. :)

Morgan F Arlene wrote: "I've got to get to the first series soon ... one day soon. I hope you get a good grade on your project. :)"

Thanks, Arlene. I got a B, actually. The poster was crap, but I'm a good presenter, so I pulled it off.

message 4: by Nic (new)

Nic LOL. Awesome review. I need to read Percy first after HP :)

message 5: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica LMAO XD Your review is awesome, Morg!

Joyzi wow I really do this literally ROFL

Aleeeeeza well go castrate percy together! :D