George Shubin's Reviews > Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

Fantastic Voyage by Ray Kurzweil

Apr 15, 10

Read in January, 2005 — I own a copy

Monsanto used to have a slogan, "Better living through chemistry." Kurzweil takes this up a notch. Actually, he takes it up a quantum leap. The sub-title, "Live Long Enough to Live Forever", posits our ability to extend human lifespans through our geometrically increasing knowledge and computing power. Enough time and technological advancement will result in our ability to prevent diseases and aging to such an extent that we will achieve practical immortality.

Of course, that's under the assumption that a human being is nothing more than an electro-chemical machine that needs preventative maintenance and equipment upgrades from time to time, much like an automated factory line.

No doubt we have much to learn and apply to the biological side of our existence, but there is a spiritual dimension to us that materialists like Kurzweil reject.

The book is an interesting read if you can ignore the underlying presuppositions. There's enough here to provide some good ideas about our day-to-day health to make the book a worthwhile read. But if you want a fully comprehensive exposition about the nature of human life and attaining true immortality, you'll have to read the Book that all materialists reject.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Voyage.