Dave Mosher's Reviews > Death from the Skies!: These Are the Ways the World Will End...

Death from the Skies! by Philip Plait

Jun 01, 2010

Read from April 15 to May 25, 2010

I love apocalyptic scenarios.

Call this fascination sick and twisted, a healthy appreciation, a sigh of relief because you're not alone -- whatever. I'm guilty as charged.

Yet more than dreaming of doom, I savor well-explained science that creates a sense of awe about the universe we finding ourselves living in.

Bearing that in mind, I relished every page of this book. "Death from the Skies" is a refreshing exploration of the ways space can kill us, and tricks you (I use that phrasing if you happen to be intimidated by science) into learning some fundamental stuff about how the cosmos works.

Phil Plait thoroughly and humorously covers a large swathe of ground I've encountered as a science journalist -- the "what if..."s that often can't be touched in short articles, even adequately explained in long-form pieces. From black holes, gamma-ray bursts and galactic mergers to supernovae, rogue stars and aliens, Plait hits all of the high points and leaves no space rock unturned.

If you have an ounce of interest in outer space -- even a professional interest -- this is a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death from the Skies!.