Mark's Reviews > The Dragon Reborn

The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

M 50x66
Apr 15, 2010

This review stands for the entire Wheel of Time series.

The Wheel of Time appears to be in good hands with Brandon Sanderson penning the last Book (in three parts) of Robert Jordan's epic.

Although I have been reading these books for as long as I have been reading Katherine Kerr's Deverry novels, and will be reading them at least until 2012 when the final book is due out, I have enjoyed them so much that I am willing to ignore the length of time it has taken. It must be almost 20 years from first to last.

The only work that I've ever been able to compare to the Wheel of Time in terms of complexity and scale is Frank Herbert's Dune. While some authors manage to create a believable and detailed culture and history for a nation and a very few manage to paint a picture of an entire continent and world that feels complete, never have I encountered a world of such depth as this.

One has to forgive Jordan for a few oddities that cause events of the first couple of books to be worked-around. He started out writing a trilogy and by the time he'd killed off a few characters he found he wasn't going to be done anytime soon. What develops from the third book onwards is a vast tale of high fantasy, politics and personal struggles. This isn't your average DragonLance novel where the heroes chuckle while disembowling orcs by the dozen and boy gets girl. This world is dirty and corrupt and changing it takes hard work and sacrifice.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Reborn.