Al_anna Smunt's Reviews > Day of Tears

Day of Tears by Julius Lester

U_50x66
I loved about this book that it is a historical fiction novel in verse, which is very approachable for middle school readers and reluctant readers at a higher level alike. The dialogue is easy to follow, and the vocabulary is level-appropriate.

I love how close the novel keeps to the facts of the time, and that it interjects factoids as the book progresses: slaves not knowing their own ages, slave auctions and the actual prices slaves were sold for, the underground railroad, selling slaves back into slavery, the treatment of slaves on a plantation, etc. All of these factual interjections are great starting points for further research into slavery. Along the same lines, I'm grateful to Lester for writing the dialogue colloquially, so that readers have a better understanding of the way that slaves and southerners spoke—a chance to possibly connect to current day colloquialisms.

I also enjoy that Lester represents the full spectrum of white sentiment toward slavery: abolitionism, pro-slavery, ambivalence and all. Even in some of the most negatively portrayed characters (Frances and Master), the reader can see a hint of regret towards what happened at the slave auction. However, there are more negatively illustrated characters (the slave-auctioneer) whose pitiful lives are meant to directly correlate to their inhumane actions.

I feel that this book really allows the reader to inhabit the lives and minds of the characters in the book, and have real emotional responses. I love that the capitalized text stands for dialogue, the lowercase for thoughts, and the italics for future reflection. This not only breaks up the story in an interesting way, but also lends itself well to full-class read-aloud participation. A short, approachable, and engaging read for middle school readers. Great for connecting to further research.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day of Tears.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Al_ErinDickey Dickey It was nice that the author included accurate information about the slave trade and the underground railway. I agree, this would be a great book for young readers. I just recommended it to my dad, who is a 5th grade teacher. I told him to have one of his students read it and report back to me. I am interested to see what a younger student thinks of this book.