Zeek's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Apr 15, 10

bookshelves: classics-modern, fiction, literary, own
Read in December, 2007

The novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever.

Full of truth about the destructive power of secrets, I enjoyed this book on numerous levels.

Despite all the buzz about the book, I never bothered to read the back blurb or pay much attention to the gist of the book, because I knew I didn't want to spoil anything. I'm glad I didn't catch wind of the plot, because I would have missed the chance to be a bit shocked and to literally gasp out loud with a soft "holy ****, no he didn't."- (I love moments like that in books!)

The middle of the book (what I call- Norah's wallowing) I had to push through- but i really liked the premise and the rest the book.

An intriguing novel that deserves it's time on the best seller list as far as I'm concerned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.