Angela's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Jun 14, 2010

bookshelves: audio-book, book-club-pick, historical, wwii, pub-randh, read-in-2010
Read from June 06 to 14, 2010

I listened to this on audio book and the readers were fantastic. There are 4 voices that portray the different people writing letters to eat other.

The characters were awesome. Sydney was frustrating and surprising. I kept wanting to smack him and tell him to propose to Juliet. I loved Mark and his brash American-ness but didn't think he was a good fit for Juliet. I loved that he made Sydney's hackles raise. Elizabeth's story was heart-breaking. I was confused by Dawsey. The voice on the audio book made him sound like an old man so I was confused by part of the storyline in that regard since I was interpreting his character in a different way than he really was. I still can't figure out how old he was and it's bugging me. All the characters on Guernsey were fantastic and made me laugh. If I visited them for an extended period of time I think that I would want to live permanently on Guernsey as well.

There were lots of great quotes for people who love books and reading and writing. I loved it when Juliet and her fiancee argued about what should go on the bookshelves, and when Juliet's first thought after her building's bombing was whether her books were okay, and how Juliet felt like a traitor to get rid of a book even though she already had a copy of that book and needed more space. A woman after my own heart!

Most of all, I love how I learned more about the this little island in the English Channel and how they were affected by the war. That's why I love historical fiction.

The ending was a bit abrupt. As I got close, I thought maybe I was missing another CD of story because I didn't see how it was going to end so quickly. And then when it did end in a just a few minutes I wished there had been more.
1 like · flag

06/14/2010 "How old is Dawsey?"

Carrielyn I'm curious if you like this. It bored the pants off of me.

Angela Yeah, I saw that. But I've seen a lot of other good comments lately so I'm going to give it a try on audiobook.