Ruth's Reviews > Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths

Abraham by Bruce Feiler

F_50x66
Apr 14, 10

Read in March, 2010

This book attempts to find reconciliation of some sort between Muslims, Christians and Jews, who all claim Abraham as their own. I was really impressed; Feiler was doing a great job, but disappointed by the very end where he was quite overly-generous to Israel concerning their treatment of Palestine, quoting a random person who entered the Mosque of Abraham, "The Muslims are very aggressive, like Ishmael, and they have swords raised against everyone. And the Jews are very passive, like Isaac, who nearly allows himself to be killed without talking back. That's why they are killing us, because we don't fight back." Sure this is just quoting a person but the author failed to reconcile this statement with reality and talks quite a bit about terrorist attacks near the end of the book as well; vaguely questioning why, perhaps, but providing absolutely no reason for the attacks. This is pretty counter-productive to the idea of finding reconciliation in Abraham.

In other considerations this is not as captivating of a narrative as was Learning to Bow.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham.