Amelia, the pragmatic idealist's Reviews > Brightly Woven

Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken

If Brightly Woven was an amusement park ride, I'd say it would be a wooden roller coaster - it's fun and exciting at times, but the ride is very bumpy, rickety, and you wonder how in the world the coaster got a license to operate in the first place.

Most of the time, I try and at least pretend to be objective. But every once in awhile a book comes along that totally unleashes the inner opinionated Amelia, and this was one such book. In a nutshell, I didn't enjoy this book. It was hard to get into the plot of the story because the writing was really disjointed and distracting. I loved North, but Sydelle was only so-so. She's like the typical YA heroine in the anthem of "girls are macho too!" but unlike a lot of other YA heroines, she's a little on the stupid side. North would do something to protect her and she'd go "I can take care of myself because GIRLS RULE!" and then she'd do something totally stupid and lo and behold would need North AFTER ALL. Go figure! My little feminist friend (seriously, she is little: 4'10) doesn't even like her, because when a character screams about being independent and smart and capable, she needs to be able to actually DO SOMETHING on her own. But I digress. I mean, at least Katsa from Graceling wasn't an idiot! Like I said, I liked North, but he seemed a little out-of-character. A wizard who is totally direction impaired and needs the map-reading skills of a girl who's never even left her own town? Yeah right. Also, he's all of 18 years old, yet he talks like he's an old man. O_o

So to wrap up: this book was okay, not the brilliant debut novel by a young 20something that I was expecting. That title still belongs to you, Mr. Paolini! I was disappointed, and I wish I hadn't actually bought a copy. But hey, there are loads of 4-and-5 star reviews out there, so others definitely like it. I will say that I appreciated this Brightly Woven being a clean read. That really is something nowadays, to write a clean novel. So that was very much appreciated. But it wasn't enough for me. It's not bad, but the weakest link is definitely in the writing. Honestly, it read like a 2nd or 3rd draft. Don't shoot this to the top of your TBR list, in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brightly Woven.

05/17/2010 page 62
05/17/2010 page 62
17.51% "hmmmm...."
05/18/2010 page 120
33.9% "not sure how I feel about this yet..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by I am Bastet (new)

I am Bastet Man I love reading your reviews. Even for books I've never read. I always look forward to you finishing something so I can read your review!! I actually read the first chapter of this book and had the same reaction--the writing was just hard to get through and I thought the fantasy world was pretty generic. So I didn't go further. :-P

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Generic! That's a good word.
And thank you so much for the comment - that made my day! :D I love your reviews too - I don't think I've read anything that tops the "Katsa = angry bitch" thing :DD

Afton Nelson Love your comparison to the wooden roller coaster. So appropriate! I compared it to all frosting and no cake.

Kat Kennedy I'm also surprised you gave it three stars! You're generous, girl!

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Haha gotta love teenage guys who talk like old men. Cause you know there are so many of them in real life. ;)

message 6: by I am Bastet (new)

I am Bastet Hahaha omg, "at least Katsa from Graceling wasn't an idiot!" Oh dear, I didn't think Katsa could get worse.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist I was being nice, haha. I didn't think she was an idiot. Crabby and angry, yes, but didn't really give off the stupid vibe. At least, not for me

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Crabby and angry, yes. Stupid, no. lol

message 9: by I am Bastet (new)

I am Bastet No, Katsa wasn't an idiot. She was smart and good at what she did, which were redeeming qualities. I'm sorry to hear that there are books with stupid protagonists, though.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Me too. Life's too short to write books with stupid characters, you know? :P
Now, if there's a character who starts out a little on the stupid side and undergoes a character change...that's totally fun reading! Like Ron Weasley, for example!

Kat Kennedy I like Ron...

But then, I think Draco should have turned good. It would have made a lot more sense.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist I like Ron, too! He just wasn't very good with his spells, at first. But my, what a progression as the series went along!

message 13: by I am Bastet (new)

I am Bastet I agree. I don't mind stupid characters whose journey is to become more intelligent somehow. I hate stupid characters when they just stay stupid. It seems more like a plot device than anything!