Jesslyn's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

(EDIT 3-14-2013) This book is $2.99 in the major ebook stores for a limited time. Go get yours!

EDIT: After my re-read, once again I am blown away with how good this book was. I don't know if I will read again right before the next one comes out, but it is so good, I'm sure I will enjoy it just as much the 3rd time around.

---------------------------
This is classic epic fantasy at its best. As always, Mr. Sanderson does a great job with character and story development, and of course gives you a well-thought out world with a imaginative new magic system. IMO, this series has the potential to rival the appeal of LOTR.

As a reader I'm a little dismayed by the fact that there are supposed to be ten books in the series. So I guess that means hoping that at least a book a year gets published. I realize that you can't hurry creativity, but I REALLY hope that as readers, we don't get screwed like on the Clan of the Cave Bear or Game of Throne series. Due to Mr Sanderson's blog, I have a lot more faith in his ability to keep the ball rolling. In any case, I probably shouldn't paint this series with the failings of other series, but as a reader, my innocence is no more.

This book sort of stands on it's own. I don't consider the ending to be a cliffhanger, more of a revelation. It was totally fitting. I found the book to be a solid, and VERY good start to a series. The classic elements without being cliched, action, betrayal, religion, atheism, science, magic and mystery. Add great writing and you can't really ask for more. I'm eagerly looking for news on the next installments.

Oh, and may I suggest that you use your ereader for this series? Over 1000 pages? Way too big to carry around.....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

12/13/2010
39.0% "Dear god don't let this series take as long as GRRM's or Jean Auel's"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jD (new)

jD Thanks Jesslyn. Great review. I will keep up with the series via your post. Ten books is over my personal limit.

Ibkay On the other hand, I'm actually excited it's going to be up to 10 books! I've been waiting for an epic that will have as much impact on me as Jordan's wheel of time and I think this is it! I hope Sanderson lives up to expectation with the remaining books!

message 3: by Cat Russell (new)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) I downloaded this after reading your review. I was surprised to see that it's still only $2.99. I recently finished Warbreaker and it had some flaws but overall I really enjoyed it. I also listened to Sanderson's Steelheart and it was fantastic. Glad I decided to give this author a try.