Sera's Reviews > The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar

May 25, 08

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction, own
Recommended to Sera by: RG Book Club
Read in May, 2008

I really loved this fictional account of the end of days for the Romanov family. Interwoven with real letters and other historical facts, the novel is about the young kitchen boy who worked for and supported the Romanov family while they were imprisoned by the Red Army. This book would be better read by those people who have some understanding of Nicholas II and his family prior to reading the book so as to be able to separate fact from fiction.

Alexander weaves a gripping tale of the events that led up to the slaughter of the Tsar's family. It's a chilling read that hooked me immediately, even though I was familiar with the story and knew how it would end. Alexander adds a twist to the end of the book that reflects some historians' perspectives of the events that took place after the family had been murdered.

All in all, a fine read - I find this family to be extremely fascinating. I'm going to read Alexander's second book, Rasputin's Daughter later this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kitchen Boy.

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I just got this last night!! I've been wanting it for ages. I might be reading this one soon! Maybe I should pick up a nonfiction book about the Romanovs first though.

message 2: by Sera (last edited Oct 29, 2012 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera That's great - it's such a good book. You don't need a Romanov primer before reading this one, but the topic is so interesting that you may just want to check one out anyway.

ETA: A non- fiction book helps to separate fact from fiction, but again, not necessary as a pre-cursor.

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Oh good. I'm thinking of choosing this for my local book club. I have January. My ladies are hard to please though. :)

Sera Ha ha ha - hmmm, this one might work :)

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah One of my first picks five years ago was Rebecca, and they hated it! I still haven't lived that down but I stand by it because I love that book!

Sera I love that book, too! Oy - you do have a tough crowd.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Maybe I'll just do a little Wikipedia reading on the Romanovs first instead of getting a book.

Sera That would work. It should provide a good context for you.