Heather's Reviews > Mistress of Rome

Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn

Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, favorites, 5-star-reads
Read from September 10 to 14, 2010

Boy, oh boy, can Kate Quinn tell a story! This is easily one of the most entertaining, un-put-down-able books I’ve read. It’s not a book to be read slowly and savored, but one to devour! If I’d been able to read this in one sitting, I most certainly would have. The story is fast-paced with constant action and drama to keep you turning those pages. I kid you not…there was not a lull to be found!

There wasn’t any one character that I was extremely attached to. It was more the story as a whole that held me captive. There were moments where I was on the edge of my seat, reading wide-eyed and literally holding my breath waiting to see what was going to happen next. And other moments when I was shocked, surprised, and even near tears. Quite an intense ride and I loved every minute of it!

I also want to mention that there is quite a bit of violence and some pretty explicit sex scenes in the book. Just a heads-up for those of you who may be sensitive to that kind of thing. Personally, I thought it added some awesome intensity and drama to the story.

It’s always exciting to find a new and wonderful author to follow. If Kate Quinn writes it, I will read it. Can’t wait to see what other gems she has up her sleeve for us to enjoy down the road!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of Rome.

09/11/2010 page 101
20.0% "Wow, this is one addicting book! Loving it!" 14 comments
09/12/2010 page 298
60.0% "I can't put this down! I'm stealing every moment I can to read."
09/13/2010 page 379
76.0% "Shocker!" 6 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki Yay! Now I am even more excited to read it!

Heather I loved it! It even got put on my 'favorites' shelf. Can't wait to hear what you think when you get around to it, Vicki! I really think you'll like it. :)

message 3: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki I hope to get to it soon. After I finish Little Bee the next two books I own I want to read is Juliet or this one. I feel I should read Juliet first though, because I am teaching it in like two weeks.

Heather Ooohh, two great books lined up for you! I was really surprised by Juliet...I was thinking it was going to be more of a romance type of book, and there is some romance in there, but it mainly felt like a mystery to me. And a pretty good one at that. I hope you like it!

message 5: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki I am excited to get to it. I will let you know how it goes. The fact that it is more mystery intrigues me more, not that I hate romance, but I don't generally read a book that is really just romance.

Heather I look forward to your updates! I love that 'update' feature on here. It's fun getting to hear what people think of the book as they are reading.