Petra's Reviews > The Last Song

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

Oct 09, 10

Read from October 08 to 09, 2010

At the beginning of the book, I thought I knew the story before I read it and was pleasantly surprised that wasn't entirely the case. You sense right away that there's something vital to the story missing that you only discover later on. I guessed right, but there were so many things going on that I either forgot and/or didn't want to think about it until I was forced to.

My favourite character was Jonah, Ronnie's brother. He's not a main characters, but he's such a cool kid and I love the way he thinks. Even though I tend to smile when I read something funny, this time I caught myself laughing out loud. He added a light-heartedness that was needed, especially with Ronnie being so angry.

There was a lot more to Ronnie than the image I had of her for a while. Will saw that before I did, even when I saw that moment he knew there was more to her through his eyes. He's also more than what I thought he would be (a pretty face with a bright future).

The book is told from four different perspectives, but mainly the daughter, Ronnie. Switching perspectives doesn't always work out, but it did this time and made me feel more involved in the story. The last couple of chapters I had a constant lump in my throat and had to put the book down to pull myself together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Song.