Patrice Fitzgerald's Reviews > Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat, and Obsession

Cleaving by Julie Powell

Apr 14, 10

Recommended for: no one
Read on April 14, 2010, read count: 1/3

I confess that I only read about a third of it, and that in the bookstore. And I am so glad that I did that instead of spending money on this book!

I came here (and just checked out the reviews on Amazon) because when I first looked at the contents of "Cleaving," I was positive that it would do poorly, and that most folks would hate it. Not that I wanted that for Julie Powell -- I enjoyed her first book quite a bit, and had fun at the film they made (with great liberties, adding lots of Julia Child details, as well as perking up the Julie persona). I even checked out her original blog, which is still viewable online, and which shows her personality as even stronger and snarkier than that of her first book.

But this one! It's not the grossness of the meat stuff, but her sad and even shocking behavior that makes it unpalatable to read. She treats herself badly, and her husband badly, and she wastes her time and ours on her equally unappealing affair.

I wonder what she's going to find to write about next?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleaving.