Lee's Reviews > Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives

Sum by David Eagleman

3362019
Apr 18, 10

Read in April, 2010

This book is far and away my favorite of the year, and probably in my top ten of all time. The basis of the book is a series of very short (2-3 page) stories/vignettes, that depict imaginative and fantastical afterlife scenarios. For example, the title story depicts the afterlife as exactly the same as the life we lived on earth except that similar events are grouped together (e.g. showering, driving up and down your front street, etc.) Another story depicts god as a married couple, and yet another shows god at the size of a microbe. I initially thought it might be depressing to read forty tales about life after death, but this collection is more of a calling to live life to the fullest, and not to excessively on the past. I absolutely loved this book, and think that is an enjoyable read be it either straight through or a story a day. The only complaint I could imagine one having about this book is that the prose becomes a bit repetitive if read straight through; however, I did not find this to affect the reading experience. I would recommend this work to anyone and everyone, especially those who enjoy thought provoking stories and topics.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sum.