Crystal's Reviews > Hush

Hush by Kate White

Apr 21, 10

bookshelves: library, read-april-2010
Read from April 19 to 20, 2010

Talk about a roller coaster - that is what I would sum this book up as. It's a thrill ride from beginning to end. Hush is the first book I have read from author Kate White, though I have been wanting to read her Bailey Weggins series. I was intrigued on how the Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan magazine would pull off a thriller and I have to say she does a great job with it.

I liked Lake from the beginning (though I kept wanting to read her name as Luke - Lake is just different). She is a woman who is going through a divorce and has just learned her husband will be suing for joint custody. She finds this out just when she feels like she is starting to get her life back on track. She's enjoying her new consulting job, she's been flirting with a handsome man and things seem to be going well. Then she finds out about the custody and her lawyer tells her to lay low especially with men for awhile. Then the flirting escalates with Dr. Keaton at work and culminates in a one-night-stand that ends with Dr. Keaton's murder.

Lake doesn't know what to do, so she does not confess to the police that she was in Dr. Keaton's apartment. Then funny things start to happen and it appears the clinic is not operating on the complete up-and-up. But Lake can't quite figure out what is going on. What happens after that begins the thrill ride and you will find yourself looking over your shoulder while reading it. Kate's paranoia comes through so well and you find yourself guessing at who might be behind it all right along with her. Just when you think you get it figured out, Ms. White throws in a new curveball and the anxiety starts all over again. Kate is the main character in this but I enjoyed the secondary characters, no one was gone into as deeply as Kate, but I felt I got to know a variety of people. I only had problems in a few spots trying to figure out which doctor was which, otherwise I felt each character stood out on it's own. There were also a few plot points that ended up glossed over - I kind of felt like they were put in as filler, but they still wound there way into the story enough that it didn't take away from the story.

This was hard to put down and it took my mind completely away from t-ball practice yesterday (so I missed the fact my son had to go to the bathroom, thankfully my older son noticed). I started this on Monday and finished it Tuesday which is record reading for me at the moment.

If you are looking for a great thriller and a quick read this is the book for you.

My Rating: 4.25/5.0
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush.

04/20/2010 page 160