Christine Bongers's Reviews > The Piper's Son

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: aussie-ya
Read in January, 2010

The breakfast milk went warm on the bench while I laughed and sobbed through the final chapters of this book. Beautiful, heart-wrenching and real, Melina Marchetta's latest book is as good as it gets.
This stunning stand-alone book picks up the lives of a group of friends from Saving Francesca. It’s five years down the track, and this time it’s Tom Mackee who needs saving.
Tom has lost his way, seeking oblivion through drink and drugs. Trying to forget the London bombing that claimed his uncle’s life, trying to survive without the friends he has pushed away and a family torn apart by grief, alcoholism and loss.
His journey back from the edge is a heart-wrenching read, leavened with a warm humour and lovingly crafted by an author who understands the flaws and strengths of family and friendship, and how they weave a safety net capable of saving us all. Powerful and unforgettable

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piper's Son.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marj I loved it too, Chris. I think it's so hard to write effectively about 'lost' young men. 'The Piper's Son' really touched my heart. I kept a couple of images from the book in my heart for a long long time. Loved the cover too - Pete Murray, if i remember.

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Bursztynski I'm reading it now because it's on the CBCA short list. Reminds me, just a bit, of Maureen McCarthy. I'm not far enough in, though, to be able to agree or disagree with the above. I've read all her other books except Jellicoe Road.

Christine Bongers Yes Marj, that cover - a reverse shot from a Pete Murray album cover shoot - really nailed Tom's character.

Christine Bongers Sue, you're in for a treat. :)