Chachic's Reviews > Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie

Apr 23, 2010

bookshelves: physical-owned-copies
Read from April 19 to 23, 2010

Originally posted here.

I was really looking forward to reading this because I like James' character in Lament and I wanted to read more about him. Plus, I was hoping to find an urban fantasy series to love in Maggie Stiefvater's books. James is pretty easy to like. He's smart, funny, a musical genius when it comes to bagpipes and he's good-looking too. Nuala is a muse, stuck in the middle of two worlds: she's too human to be completely fey but she's also too much of a faerie to be human. Ballad is the story of how these two characters are reluctantly drawn to each other. The narration of the book changes from James to Nuala, with unsent text messages from Dee (the female protagonist of Lament) to James in between chapters.

I was starting to feel bad while I was reading the first half of the book because I really wanted to like this story but I'm not a huge fan of love triangles and James was still in love with Dee. The earlier chapters were filled with so much longing and wanting. Here's a perfect quote from the book to summarize that part:

"I sat on the hill, the wind whispering through the long grass that surrounded me. I stared at the stars and wanted more than what I was and more than what the world was and just - wanted."

Well, I can certainly relate to that. I just didn't want James to feel so hopeless because he certainly deserved better. I kept urging him to move on already because he knows that Dee loves Luke. It didn't help matters that Dee kept stringing him along. I think it would've been better if they both tried to work on reviving their friendship. I'm glad that things picked up in the middle of the book when James started to let Nuala in. I enjoyed the latter part of the book much more than the first part. Both Nuala and James are interesting characters and I like how they are when they're together. By the time the climax rolls around, you'll be rooting for both of them and you'd want them to get what they desire the most.

All in all, I enjoyed reading this book enough to get the next installment in the series. Although there are still no announcements, I have a feeling that this faerie story hasn't ended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballad.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“I sat on the hill, the wind whispering through the long grass that surrounded me. I stared at the stars and wanted more than what I was and more than what the world was and just - wanted.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie