Cathy 's Reviews > Wraith

Wraith by Phaedra Weldon

Jun 09, 2010

it was ok
Read from June 08 to 09, 2010

I seriously debated between 2 and 3 stars. It was a weird mix. She uses words like oogy (repeatedly, nauseatingly) then switches to hair that's "truncated" in the middle of her back. Zoë's voice is an odd mix of chick lit and educated woman. And the chick lit is just terribly done, the banter is lame and incredibly irritating. I almost threw the book across the room when during one of the most tense moments in the book, after being grabbed by a bad guy, Zoë, "He had me in a nuggy position. Yippee." Seriously, she said nuggy. But the urban fantasy aspect of the book was pretty good. I liked the original ideas, the main story was fast-paced and had suspense. I was curious to see what would happen next. There was even a little bit of spookiness (when it wasn't destroyed by her inane word choices). And yet this woman was horribly raped several years before the story began and doesn't freak out after being forced into spiritual sex and still thinks the guy is kind of sexy, or after finding out that her soul has been invaded. Ok, I've officially talked myself into downgrading to a 2. If I didn't already have the next book from the library sitting next to me I would not get it out. I hope it's better!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wraith.

06/08/2010 page 88
22.92% "It's a weird mix so far. She uses words like oogy (repeatedly) then switches to hair that's "truncated" in the middle of her back. Zoë's voice is an odd mix of chick lit and educated woman. But I do like the word "sieve" she uses for moving through objects in her astral form. Although again, it seems too sophisticated for both Zoë's personality and level of knowledge about her abilities." 1 comment

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Barf. I will definitely skip. Thanks for the review, Cathy, and I admire your resolve in reading the next one. I don't think I could do it, LOL.

Cathy I couldn't do it! I tried but gave up a few chapters in. It's a shame, it would be quite good without the childish oogy noogy language and awkward attempts at humor. But it must not rub everyone as wrong as it does me, there are 3 books out already and it looks like more to come.