Rawail Naeem's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

Mar 27, 2012

bookshelves: absolute-favorites

Quotes Rawail Liked

Harper Lee
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”

Harper Lee
“It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”

Harper Lee
“Atticus, he was real nice."

"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Harper Lee
“Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts.”

Harper Lee
“It's not necessary to tell all you know. It's not ladylike -- in the second place, folks don't like to have someone around knowin' more than they do. It aggravates them. Your not gonna change any of them by talkin' right, they've got to want to learn themselves, and when they don't want to learn there's nothing you can do but keep your mouth shut or talk their language.”

Harper Lee
“She seemed glad to see me when I appeared in the kitchen, and by watching her I began to think there was some skill involved in being a girl.”

Harper Lee
“Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win.”

Harper Lee
“You just hold your head high and keep those fists down. No matter what anybody says to you, don't you let 'em get your goat. Try fightin' with your head for a change.
-Atticus Finch”

Harper Lee
“You can choose your friends but you sho' can't choose your family, an' they're still kin to you no matter whether you acknowledge 'em or not, and it makes you look right silly when you don't.”

Harper Lee
“Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corncribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

Harper Lee
“When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion faster than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em.”

Harper Lee
“With him, life was routine; without him, life was unbearable.”

Harper Lee
“We're paying the highest tribute you can pay a man. We trust him to do right. It's that simple.”

Harper Lee
“I'm little but I'm old.”

Harper Lee
“Before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”

Harper Lee
“Things are always better in the morning.”

Harper Lee
“You can't really get to know a person until you get in their shoes and walk around in them.”