Janet Wilcox's Reviews > At All Hazards

At All Hazards by Blaine M. Yorgason

Apr 13, 10

Read in April, 2010

I read some of this book about 10 years ago, but I don't think I finished it. Now that I'm emeshed in Hole-in-the-rock history, I went back and read it. The things I liked about Yorgason's book, compared to Gerald Lund's , is that it gave a better picture of the difficulty of each of the major geographic barriers the pioneers had to surmount. We see most of this through the eyes of two fictional characters, Eliza and Billy Foreman. The rest of the people in the story are actual pioneers, though their thoughts and dialogue are fabricated to fit the story. I found them very believable based upon research I had done Jan-April 2010.

There was lots of family history about most of those on the trek, that I learned while reading-- this verified Yorgason's diligence in research. Some I initially questioned and did follow up research which confirmed that what he wrote was true. One I remember was the fact that the Pace family had four children die (2-8 years old) within a month of leaving for San Juan. What hard times these pioneers dealt with, and yet kept their commitment to their Church and to their God.

The only thing I found distracting was the abundance of mini-sermons via Billy and Eliza as she wrestled with her repentance--which was badly needed. But it over-kill and I found myself skipping most of these by the time I hit the last 70 or so pages. I found the book truthful, and richly embedded with actual events and history. I plan to read the other 2 in the series.

If you want to learn more about this event in history and the pioneers who were there, visit these sites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At All Hazards.