Laura's Reviews > Of Love And Other Demons

Of Love And Other Demons by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Dec 12, 07

bookshelves: favorites
Read in December, 2007

This book starts off very slowly and almost slyly, as if someone has started telling a long-winded story and you're really not paying attention, and then, halfway through the story you realize that you're hanging onto every word. If Garcia Marquez explored the metaphor or love as a disease in "Love in the Time of Cholera", then here he centers his story around the metaphor of love as madness and demonic possession. I think the metaphor actually works better than the cholera one. This book feels much simpler than "Love & Cholera" or "100 Years of Solitude", but it's not -- that's just Garcia Marquez's mastery of writing working for you. His writing is so exquisite that it appears effortless, and it feels effortless to read. Also, this book focuses on one incident during a very short period of time and therefore reads very differently than Garcia Marquez's more famous extensive sagas. I think this form shows off his writing even more. One of the other reasons why I particularly liked this book is that I actually liked the main male character, Cayetano Delaura. There's something very sincere and genuine about him. I highly recommend this book -- it's not a long read, and it's a very enjoyable one.
33 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Love And Other Demons.