Kat Alexander's Reviews > Wide Awake

Wide Awake by David Levithan

Jul 11, 10

bookshelves: 101-books-before-you-die, favourites, read-2010, reviewed
Read from June 03 to 05, 2010

Highly entertaining, fast-paced novel weaving one part politics, one part "the future", and one part teen love story.

Incredibly enjoyable read. The future as we may-come-to-know-it is realistic, though pleasantly different. World-wide public healthcare has come. 9/11 has been joined by many other dates. There's been a new Jesus Revolution. Phones have video.

Even more identifiable than the possible future are the characters. Duncan, Jimmy, Virgil and all the others ring with the reality of human nature--they're not perfect, but they're real. Even the bullies--frequently overdone in YA books--are (unfortunately) genuine.

The plot itself is intriguing--a presidency challenged? (Now where've we heard this in real life? Ah, but that was Florida, not Kansas.) And a teenager going with his friends to defend it? There's a wonderful blend of political action and reaction woven in; it's never dry, accredited mainly to the idea of MONUMENTALISM though the whole novel. The author has built up a kind of contagious excitement that's impossible to ignore, sucking in the reader and not letting go.

(Read more reviews on my blog!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Awake.

Quotes Kat Liked

David Levithan
“Everything--the section of comfortable chairs in the middle, the long colourful chains that dangled lights from the ceiling--seemed designed to make you feel like you were part of something larger, without actually being made to feel small.”
David Levithan, Wide Awake

06/03/2010 page 116
52.49% "Wanted to finish two books in a day. Does that goal end at midnight, or when I fall over sideways?"