Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Nov 07, 2011

Read from July 05 to 06, 2010

If I could give the beginning a rating and the ending a rating, they would vary a little. The beginning was slow to start, but the second half of the book drew me in so much that I read it all at once. I don’t like crying at movies or books, but I did shed some tears while reading this one. The characters of all of the teens and the wolves seem very well thought out, very real, but the parents (oh, the dreadful parents) are all completely clueless, self-absorbed, and annoying. Being a parent of a teen myself, I’m appalled that there would ever be parents as clueless and uninvolved in their children’s lives as these.

The prose, song lyrics, and poetry that are all combined into this book in order to relate how Sam’s mind works are all beautiful and could stand on their own as part of a separate book. The relationship between Sam and Grace rivals many others and I think is now one of my favorite paranormal romances now. If you love the supernatural/human romance, this book is for you, it truly is a love story as it focuses more on that than most listed as “paranormal romances” that have been put out lately. Every girl needs her Sam, every guy needs their Grace and it’s great to see such a wonderful relationship in the teen genre.

Reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.