Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Magician's Gambit

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

Colour me lazy but I decided not to do a review for Queen of Sorcery ahisnd thought I would combine the two in this revihw, I think the main reason is, is that this series more then most feels like one big book that has been split up in to five managable segments, I find after a while I am hazy over one book ends and another begins, so I figured that the midway point would be a good place to stop and reflect.

The adventure mounts as you continue on the series and as Garion learns more about quest himself and his motley crew of companions are on. Gradually Garion is accepting his skills as a sorcerer and realizes that some important fate lies a head of him.

This series never fails to get me fully absorbed, although this book is very much powered by a strong plot line giving these books a sense or urgency and a very definite direction what most gets my nose buried in to these books is the characters. Silk's wicked wit, Polgara's inexorable nature, Mandorallans towering nobility, Ce'Nedra's girlish machinisms etc all these characters mixed together make a good book with, lets face it a pretty standard fantasy plot, though a very well realized and executed one, a truely excellent one, well after the book is closed I know I will remember all these characters and they will stick with me, and they have, I first read this book 10 years ago!

So at the midway point things are moving on to the conclusion of this series and I am thoroughly enjoying the journey.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician's Gambit.

Quotes Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Liked

David Eddings
“What was that?" Belgarath asked, coming back around the corner.
"Brill," Silk replied blandly, pulling his Murgo robe back on.
"Again?" Belgarath demanded with exasperation. "What was he doing this time?"
"Trying to fly, last time I saw him." Silk smirked.
The old man looked puzzled.
"He wasn't doing it very well," Silk added.
Belgarath shrugged. "Maybe it'll come to him in time."
"He doesn't really have all that much time." Silk glanced out over the edge.
"From far below - terribly far below - there came a faint, muffled crash; then, after several seconds, another. "Does bouncing count?" Silk asked.
Belgarath made a wry face. "Not really."
"Then I'd say he didn't learn in time." Silk said blithely.”
David Eddings, Magician's Gambit