Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Check out the review and fantasy cast @ Under the Covers

Miss Annabelle Payton, Miss Lillian Bowman, Miss Evangeline Jenner and Miss Daisy Bowman are regular sights at the peripheral of a ballroom. With each young lady having oddities and foibles that make them untenable to the bachelors of the ton. However, they strike up an unlikely friendship each vowing to help the others out to find a husband by means fair and foul. With the beautiful and spirited Annabelle being the first...

Miss Annabelle Payton’s family are on the knife edge of poverty, to stop these dire straits Annabelle must marry and marry well. However, with no dowry to speak and it approaching her fourth season it is becoming nigh on impossible to catch a husband, let alone a peer of the realm. Instead she is starting to receive more dishonourable offers of becoming a mistress, offers that it seems she may have to consider if things don't change soon. One of these men is a Mr Simon Hunt, who has been longing for Annabelle for two long years, despite her repeated rebuffs, but he soon sees his opportunity when they are both invited to the country for a house party. However the Wallflowers also see the same opportunity for Annabelle to find a suitable husband. Let the games begin...

This is one of my favourite series, and Mr Simon Hunt is one of my favourite heroes. He is a self made man, a son of a butcher who has made his fortune in financial speculation and then on the blossoming trade of the railway. However, no matter how rich he is, he still will never fit in with the upper echelons of society, something that bothers him not at all. He is blunt, honest and very sure of himself (aka arrogant), how could you not love him? He also has some very dishonourable intentions toward Annabelle...to begin with, I love that as the book goes on his feelings towards Annabelle deepen; in this book it is more a case of lust at first sight rather than love. That is why I loved that Annabelle was such a strong heroine, I think if she was a weaker person and gave in to Simon at the beginning then this story would have been vastly different, and not so happily resolved. The love story between these two was very passionate and there were some hot sex scenes in the book (one in a linen closet, which is most definately my favourite!) which added nicely to the couples growing affection for each other.

I also liked the introduction to the other Wallflowers, each having their own very distinct personalities and I look forward to reading Lillian’s book next. One of my favourite parts of the book was when the girls were playing rounders-in-knickers, it was a very funny scene that never fails to have me in fits of giggles.

This book is very polished and well written, especially the dialogue, the interactions between the characters are really good, sometimes funny, sometimes intense and other times romantic. The conversations and banter between the wallflowers especially Lillian and Daisy Bowman shows their relationship of teasing and close sisters perfectly, and the conversations between Annabelle and Simon are equally sharp and witty. As well as this the language is elegant and seems very much in keeping with the language of the day, this isn’t a contemporary book dressed in a historical setting. LK gets her setting very well with enough detail to keep it interesting but not bogging you down in details about that historical period.

I have read this book many times and it is one of my favourite series a must read for those who love romance, especially Historical Romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

06/22/2010 page 33
9.0% "Simon Hunt had learned at an early age that since fate had not blessed him with noble blood, wealth, or unusual gifts, he would have to wrest his fortune from an often uncharitable world."
09/25/2012 page 1
0.0% "I am feeling crap, so have decided Lisa Kleypas and Simon Hunt are going to nurse back to health!" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Regina I bought this book a week or so ago. Looking forward to reading it. I am not a fan of romance by itself, but still looking forward. Nice review!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks, I have read this book multiple times and I always enjoy it. It definatley has an air of quality when you read it unlike some romances where they can be a bit sloppy and uninteresting.

I hope that you like it as much I do : )

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn I really haven't read any historical romances but this one sounds like a possibility for me. You said it doesn't get bogged down in details about the period which is good. I'm a sucker for the HEA love story!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) This has a really good HEA so you should love this. It is also a good book to read if you haven't read many/any historical romances as the writing in it is very good. It gives you enough detail so you have a good sense of what time period you are in both by out right saying things and also by the way people say things, so it isn't overwhelming you.

So you should definately give it a go and let me know if you like it : )

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Suzanne, have you tried the Cin Craven series by Jenna Maclaine? It's set in the 1800's but does go forward in time. It's about The Righteous a group of vamps and there is a great love story between Michael and Cin.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) No I haven't read that, but it is on my TBR list, I keep meaning to look in my library for it. Is it good?

I just finished reading The Hunger Games, have you read them? It was so good! i am sure I sent a rec to everyone as I loved it!

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn I did get your rec about The Hunger Games but from reading the description it doesn't seem like something I would be interested in. I did like the Cin Craven series. It's kind of hard to give you a synopsis but Cin goes to The Righteous for help because her parents have been killed and a man she once knew is now a vampire and is after her.
when she meets Michael there is instant attraction and they fall for each other. She's human and Michael, Devlin and Justine are vampires. The three of them make up The Righteous. Devlin is the leader and Justine is his mate. There's just 3 books right now and I know the author is trying to get the 4th one published soon. There was also a short story about Devlin and Justine and how they get together in The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance.

Alycia Awesome review Suzanne!

message 10: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Great review, Suzanne. And I just have to say...I LOVE SIMON HUNT!

Before you get your knickers in a twist, I KNOW he's yours, but I just had to say it!

That linen closet scene was one of my favorites, too! LOL

One of my favorite this about this book though was how much of an ass Westcliff was. It was highly amusing, LOL.

message 11: by Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Nov 24, 2010 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks Leah : )

That's right Leah, MINE, I have it tattoed on him, "Property of Suzanne" I now it doesn't mention it in the books, but it is there LOL

I love that scene and the one behind the curtains in teh music room as well. And also ofcouse rounder-in-knickers, that scene always has me in connipation : D

Lol, I love that what you love about this book was the Westcliff bits, Lady Westcliff ; )

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LMAO! Well, I have tattooed Westcliff with "Property of Leah". It's not in the books either but it's right there on his...well, I'm not going to tell you where ;P

Oh my Lord, the music room scene. That was AWESOME! I wanna make out with Simon Hunt behind curtains! D: *pouts*

LOL. It was just too funny to see him being an asshole! LOL

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Ummm, sounds like your tattoo, may be in a very similar position to mine! LOL

Well you can't *slaps hands away* remember the tattoo? What does it say Leah huh? Only I can snog Simon behind the curtains! Don't worry though you have the library (and pears : P)

It was funny, especially when you know he is totally digging Lillian really. Obviously he was perving on her in her undies in the rounders scene!

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Heheh. Well, if you must know, my Westcliff has his right at the base of his spine, just above his fine ass. Such a wonderful place to kiss, LOL.

Fine, fine! I'll just snog (HEHEHEH!) with Westcliff! And I call Sebastian, too! He's got the same tat as Westcliff. LOL ;P

So true! LOL. And it was even better because I knew what happened already. So instead of not liking him for it, it was just freaking hysterical!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL, well mine is on inner thigh, also a great place to lick, kiss, nip....*daydreams*

I knew you would love snog! Hmmm you can have Sebastian, I don't mind. I will just stick with Simon, I like Matthew Swift, but well, he is no Simon Hunt! Lol is the tat in the same place?

I love the bit in the garden when Annabelle gets caught with Simon and he says something like "is there nothing you won't stoop to?" And she says "If there is I haven't found it yet." LOL

message 16: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah That's where it is on Sebastian. I had to put it on different places for the both of them, of course! LOL

LOL! I do! I am going to use that word all the time now! Awww, Matty is such a cutie so far!

Yes! LOL. And I love when he and Simon are riding away from the Rounders-in-knickers game and he's like "I do business with their father. How am I ever going to look at him again when I've seen his daughter in her undergarments?" LMAO!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, genuis idea!

Matthew is sweet but he doesn't seem to have the charisma of the other men from the series. But he is cute and exactly right for Daisy. Have you finished it?

LOL and Simon then reminds him that BOTH his daughters were there, but he only have eyes for Lillian

message 18: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I thought so!

Yes, I finished it last night. I stayed up until 4:00 so I could finish it! LOL. Matty is my second favorite of the series so far. He is so freaking adorable.

Yes! LOL. Oh Westy, you little cutie pie!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Suzilicious! I want Simon Hunt!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I'm sorry Annie, he has been taken! By me. Lots. LOL!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Hmmm, NO! Sorry dear he is mine! And Kev! Hehehe I have monopolized all the dark sexy ones! You need to read Derek Cravens book, although I have him as well! LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Which book is that one!?

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Annie, trust me, she will never give you any of Kev or Simon. I've tried to get her to share Simon time and again to no success. Of course, she demands I share Westcliff in return and I just cannot do that. LOL.

I still haven't read Derek's yet. I'm reading all the books I borrowed from people and then I'm getting back to my books, LOL.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Fine, I want Kev and I'll shut up.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I will swap you Kev for Butch : D I tend to get possesive with my men LMAO! I can't help it they are all so pretty!

Derek's book is Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas, and it is AMAZING!

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! I completely understand, Suzanne. I am very possessive of my men. As you both know, LOL.

Yeah, sitll haven't read it, LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) WHAT. That's a tough one. Damnit!!! You slay me, Suzanne!

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Annie, I am going to give you some advice because I'm your friend and I love you: Take Kev and give her Butch. This is most likely the only time you will have a shot at Kev. JUMP AT IT. LOL

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) LMAO, I don't DARE touch Westcliff for fear of my life! hehe

Listen to Leah Annie, she is right, I can have the tattoo with my name on removed from his ass, and let you have him, but that does mean I have ALL rights to Butch LOL!

message 31: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Damn right. Don't even lay a hand on my man! LOL

Annie, do it! She is saying she will take her fucking brand off of him! This is the best deal she will ever give you!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAOOO!! Alright. It's a deal. I lovers my Kevvie.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) *does happy dance* YAY I have Butch, come along Butch der, we need to go to the tat parlour, I know EXACTLY what ink I want you to have!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMAO!! Marking him already!? Good plan!

message 35: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! I wouldn't expect anything less of you, Suzanne. Me? I'm just going to continue snuggling over here with Westy, Cam, V, and Z, LOL ;P

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL! Can I come snuggle?

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I got him all inked up, he looks so gorgeous with me tattooed on him *sigh*

LOL that sounds like a very comfy mattress Leah! I am snuggling with my boys, Wrath, Butch, Simon, Curran, Lachlain and Bones at the moment!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) *whistles and Rhage, Lore, Torin and Kev saunder in* Annie is content. :D

message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah It IS a very comfy mattress! And Shade has been added on!

That's some awesome lovin, Annie!

Ronyell Awesome review Suzanne!! Lisa Kleypas clearly writes some of the best romance novels ever!!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks Ronyell! I love this series and Simon Hunt is my man : )

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hey, do you have this in pb? With this cover? because I do, and on the spine there's a picture of his butch/hulk man and a woman on it and I died laughing at it today! I thought, "THATS NOT SIMON!!!!"

message 45: by Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Feb 20, 2011 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) YES & YES!!! LMAO! I quite like it I loves me hulking man! LMAO, although he doesn't look like Simon AT ALL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) BAHAHAHA! It just threw me off yesterday! I was like, "Oh my lovely Simon" and then I see the spine and I was like 'WTFF?!!?" Not how I picture him AT ALL!