Val's Reviews > Ten Points

Ten Points by Bill Strickland

Dec 01, 07

Read in January, 2007

Although marketed as a cycling story, Bill Strickland's autobiographical snippet is so much more than that. The psychology of this book goes beyond racing and training technique and ventures into the world of old childhood fears teamed with adulthood guilt.
Strickland tells harrowing tales of his abuse incurred by his father and relates these to his trials as a more peaceful and respectable father to his own daughter. These lessons in patience and inner strength transpose nicely onto the racing field, although he doesn't always get his way.
Ten points go from being a daughter's naive wish to a father's yearning hope.
I enjoyed this book so much more than I was expecting because it is not solely about cycling. As a cyclist who enjoys bike-centric stories, this was a refreshing take on the sport. Due to my own experiences, I found it easy to relate to the constant turmoil Strickland continues to feel, inflected from both the memories of his father and the game of racing.
This is ultimately a tale of fatherhood, childhood, passions, rage, despair, and acceptance. And bicycles. Please don't forget the bicycles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Points.